Greetings and salutations from your DOEIGSA representatives.
On February 8th, 2016 at 4:30pm, 5.225, FG building will be our first GA of 2016. All students currently enrolled in the Ed. Tech., Ed. Studies, and Applied Linguistics are urged to come and participate. We will be discussing things that will have a direct influence on your time at Concordia, and we hope that you’ll come, participate, and eat our timbits.
An agenda for the meeting will be forthcoming, but for now your council would like you to be aware that there will be elections for the remaining vacant seats which include:
1 PhD seat
1 Ed. Studies’ seat
2 Applied Linguistics’ seats
If you are interested in running, you only have to come to the meeting and give your name, student number, and department to the DOEIGSA representative at the door.
We always hear about the rights of democracy, but the major responsibility of it is participation.
– Wynton Marsalis
Dear all Education graduates!
Your representatives are deeply worried about you. You’re stressed, overworked, sleep deprived, and we think you need some time to relax and forget all of your worries for at least a few hours.
We have two events planned:
Come to the FRC on Dec 11th at 530pm for a Story Telling + potluck. Share your stories about the holidays, cross-cultural experiences, or anything special you feel like sharing! There will be laughing, crying, and perhaps even a standing ovation.
Your friends at DOEIGSA and the Graduate Symposium in the Department of Education invite you all to McKibbons on Dec 11th from 7-9pm for a round on us and cheap drinks all night. Come, be merry, share your pain and suffering with like minded people, and have a drink on us.
Remember, we’re all in this together!
Members of DOEIGSA,
The semi-annual DOEIGSA General Assembly was held on September 28, 2015.
From that meeting, here are some important pieces of information:
1. The GA was held under moral quorum. (Bylaws, Part 3.3.2) Therefore, any decisions (and elections) are subject to contention for two weeks after the publication of the minutes (sent to all active members by Nadine Wright on October 16, 2015). Decisions can be overturned by 5 or more association members voicing their objections.
2. Elections were held . Two representatives from Ph.Ds (Jeanette Novakovich, and Alicia Piechowiak) were elected, with one seat vacant. Three representatives from Educational Technology (Junesse Christiaans, Andreea Floricel, Mark Kozma) were elected, filling all 3 seats. No candidates presented themselves from Applied Linguistics and Educational Studies.
3. According to the DOEIGSA bylaws (Part 4.1.4), a Special General Assembly will be held within 30 days (October 29, 2015 at 4:30 PM in the Atrium (student lounge) of the Faubourg, FG building) for the purpose of electing representatives from these departments. If there are again no representatives elected, Council shall continue to function. According to Part 4.1.3 of the bylaws, these vacant seats will remain open with an invitation to all members of those departments to fill at the next GA (Winter session).
First of all, thanks to everyone who came out to our Welcome Back Picnic yesterday! It was a great success and it was wonderful to see all of you there! Our next event will be our bi-annual GA.
Our Fall General Assembly is scheduled for Monday, September 28th at 5:30PM in room FG 6.235. We will have refreshments and have some time after the meeting to catch up with your peers. We will take a quick look at what DOEIGSA did past year, take a look at what we’d like to do, and vote for new student representatives! Whether you come to participate in the vote, run for a spot as a student rep, or just come for the snacks and good company, we’d love to see you!
- Monday, September 28th at 5:30PM in room FG 6.235
- Annual report of 2014-2015
- Elections of new students representatives
- Social gathering at the Brass Door (+free drink!)
Welcome back everyone! We hope you had a great summer and are ready to get back into the swing of things! Your student reps in DOEIGSA have been busy preparing for the new term, and have some exciting events lined up!
But first of all, check out our end-of-year report. It details everything your DOEIGSA reps worked on for the 2014-2015 academic year. You can find it here: DOEIGSA Rep Report 2014-2015
And now for some updates!
Faubourg: We’ve moved! The Department of Education is now located on the 5th floor of 1610 St. Catherine’s. Faculty and staff have been hard at work all summer getting the space available for September. We have a lot of space, bright colours and tons of natural light! There are plenty of benches and seats free for use (with power outlets!) in the hallways throughout the department. Student research offices and some student space is also ready for use. Things are really coming together, and we are really impressed with the space so far.
Orientation: Your DOEIGSA reps are planning something a little different for this year’s orientation. On September 14th, from 4:30PM-6:30PM, we will be having a welcome reception with refreshments and homemade pie. All students, new and old, are invited to attend! While enjoying some delicious treats network with current students, new students, faculty and your program reps. Find out information about the program, the department, our exciting new space, and catch up with old friends (or make some new ones!). Feel free to bring your own goodies to share, it is a picnic after all!
Annual General Meeting: Our Fall General Assembly is scheduled for Monday, September 28th from 5:30PM-8PM (location TBA), followed by a social at The Brass Door at 8:30PM. We will take a quick look at what DOEIGSA did past year, take a look at what we’d like to do, and vote for new student representatives. Light refreshments will be provided! Whether you come to participate in the vote, run for a spot as a student rep, or just come for the social event afterwards, we’d love to see you!